Sunday 11 September 2011

Yarn Tasting and Book Launch

A great time was had at This Is Knit last Thursday at their annual Yarn Tasting event. It's so much fun. You get samples of all of their new season yarns along with cake, wine and fun! It was the first one I'd made it to and I loved every minute. Not only was there yarn galore, there was also the launch of Carol Fellers new book, Contemporary Irish Knits. I'd been eagerly awaiting this book for a while, I love Carol's designs.

Here's here stall, with Carol hidden in the background. The photos are not the best, I was kind of dashing round the room taking them. I didn't want to appear too stalker-like.


Carol very kindly signed my book for me. I'll do a review next post, it really is a fantastic book.
There were loads of sample garments knit using other yarns, as well as representatives of the three Irish mills. Lots and lots of eye candy. Feast your eyes!


This is only a portion of the crowd that was there, this room was packed full by the time it got started. It was great fun.

Hubby was away with work, so I had to bring Alice with me. As she did last week at the HandmAid Charity Fair, she dug in and helped out! Here she is doing her best impression of shop girl. She ran errands all evening for the shop staff.


She also got her modelling on again! Here she is with Carol, modelling her Nepal Wrap. I think I may have to get her an agent soon!



The wonderful Kate Davies was also there, and she gave a talk on her designs as well. A really lovely lady with gorgeous designs. I don't know why I don't have a picture of her, I was sure I took one. Maybe I was too busy oohing and aahing over her designs.

Of course, there was stash enhancement too! This Is Knit had blogged earlier in the week about shawl pins they had begun to stock, and I loved them. I bought this one:

Isn't it lovely? They also had magnetic ones too. Really clean and simple designs, and not too expensive.

Alice flicked through Carols book and asked me to make a cardigan for her, Rossbeg (Ravlink). How could I refuse? She's great, she loves wearing handknits. She picked out this colour herself, and I think it's going to be lovely on her:

Studio Donegal Aran Tweed in a really nice orangey/red shade. And the best bit, it was 10% off! I loves me a bargain :)

Here's my progress so far:

I swatched that night when I got home, and cast on Friday after work. It's going great at the moment, I'm at the point where I split for the sleeves. I'm loving the project so far, it's really easy to follow and the yarn is divine to knit with.

Thanks so much to This Is Knit for a fantastic evening, and especially for being so good to Alice. She really enjoyed herself, and I got to have a great time too!
Thanks Carol and Kate for bringing us great patterns, and for your interesting talks on the night.
Thanks to the Irish mills for producing such fantastic Irish yarns!

Good knitting!

7 comments:

Máiréad said...

Fabulous account of the night for those of us who couldn't make it. That cardi is turning out gorgeous. Love the colour.

Nancy McCarroll said...

A fun time and nice pictures!

Anonymous said...

That looks like such fun. How great to have a daughter who appreciates handknits?! Absolutely awesome. I love the color you're using for her cardi.

Mairin said...

I love that cardigan too. Can't wait to make it for my own DD.

Nic said...

The knitting looks great and looks like the evening was a blast too. Score! And well done Alice - what a star!

kelgell said...

Ooo how delightful! I love the combination...yarn, cake and wine. What a splendid idea!

Anonymous said...

You have how much done so far??? It would take me weeks to knit that much! Must speed up. Looking forward to seeing it modeled when it's finished.