As I was saying before, I have been working on the jumper from hell for my sister in laws impending baby.
Here is the progress so far: the front, back and one of the sleeves...
It's from a Paton's pattern book and it's called Frankie. I couldn't find a link anywhere for it. It's hard to tell in the picture, but the pattern is like triangles on their sides, knit by using knit and purl stitches to display opposite effects. Sounds simple, I hear you say! And so it should be, but for some unkown reason the pattern is way off in its calculations. I spent a whole night trying to figure out how to do the V neck and keep the pattern correct. Even my husband (who's a whizz at maths) was drafted in and he couldn't decipher it. After much swearing and hair pulling I eventually got it figured out. Not fun. Especially when the baby is imminent, and I needed this finished!
Then I got to the sleeves. The sleeves. They could do with their own sound effect, to be honest, something ominous like in a Boris Karloff movie would be good. The pattern sucks for these sleeves. I just couldn't figure it out. I brought it along to my SnB on Tuesday and one of the ladies who is an expert knitter couldn't make sense of it. The numbers just didn't add up! So, I ended up having to rewrite the thing. GAH! I am not knitting long enough to be able to cope with this shizz... So, I present my version of the sleeve a bit more close up:
Not bad, no? I had to do some plain stockinette along the increases as I couldn't figure out how to work the increases into the pattern, but they shouldn't be visible as they're along the seams. Now I have it figured out, I should fly along with the second one, then knit up the v neck and voila!
I shall post finished pics next time.
In other news, I have completed the first Child's First Sock!:
Mmm yummy. A pattern I found very difficult to master, but it does look lovely. Again, it's hard to tell from the photos (I so want one of those Ebay tents), but the pattern is a lovely scalloped lace type pattern. I loved the heel on these; it uses K1SL1 on alternate rows which makes for a much thicker knit and so should be more hard wearing. I don't know about the toe, it's a bit pointed for me, I prefer a squarer toe but I will definitely incorporate this heel into future socks!
I finished the front of the Premiere Pullover:
The end is nearly in sight for this! I have the two sleeves left to do and I am praying that I don't have a sleeve fiasco like the baby sweater! I doubt this will be finished for Christmas, but it is my friend's birthday on January 9th, so I could always give it to her then instead....
If I don't knit something for myself soon I'm going to freak! I think I'll do the Koolhaas hat first as it's freezing here at the moment.
And so, that is all for the moment. Phew!