Saturday 20 February 2010

Medal Powah

I haz the colourwork and Olympic knitting skillz!

I've finished the mittens! I'm soo happy to have completed my first Ravelympics project.

They're also my first stranded colourwork project and I'm really pleased with them. No puckering and the floats are nice and even at the back, my fingers don't catch in them at all!

The front:

The back:

The mittens once washed and blocking:
I didn't know what to block them with, so I ended up using the legs of my sock blockers. Ingenuity.

You can really see how the yarn bloomed once washed, they look really hairy. I hope they don't get too hairy, that would really annoy me. I'd end up picking off the hairs all the time :)

Anyway, pattern details:

Pattern: Norwegian Snail Mittens by Adrian Bizilia, from The Knitters Book of Yarn. In fact, this pattern was the reason I bought the book.

Yarn: Garnstudio Drops Alpaca, about 3/4 of a skein each of the cream & pink, and only a smidge of the green.

Needles: 2.75mm dpns

It took me 3 tries to get these mittens to fit me, the pattern calls for 2mm needles, but the 2.75 is fine, nice and snug.

I can't wait to wear these on Monday for the cold drive to work! I love wearing mittens when driving, my hands are lovely and snug and protected from the cold steering wheel!
Overall I think these are a goody.

Plus, I've won two medals! I entered these into the Mittens Moguls and Nordic Colourwork Combined events.

I've also started on my lace entry, the Myrtle Leaf Shawl with Willow Border from Victorian Lace Today.
I must be mad, this sucker is HUGE.
My progress so far:
I tried to stretch it out a bit so you can almost make out the pattern:
It's ok, I think. I've done 19 out of 40 repeats on the body, but I've also to do a knitted on border too.
It's difficult enough, there's lace action on both sides of this one.
Hmm I don't think I'm going to cross the finish line with this one. There's only 8 days left to go. I'm sleep deprived as it is!
I wonder should I abandon it in favour of a baby pattern that I know I'd finish?
Maybe I will. I'd love to make a Baby Bog Jacket...
Once again though, I think I am smokin'!

2 comments:

UnderMeOxter said...

What yarn is the Myrtle Shawl being done in? Is that more Quivit I see? Looks gorgeous.

Alrischa said...

Wow; you took a big bite but you're doing well! My mittens are my big project; yours are just a little thing you whipped together before the LACE. lol.