Monday 1 June 2009

Blissful Bank Holiday

Wow. I can't believe I'm in Ireland. The weather this bank holiday weekend has been absolutely stunning. Scorching hot all day, not a cloud in the sky. I've been up since the crack of dawn every day. It's too hot to sleep in the bed and I don't want to miss any of this gorgeous weather.

I sent hubby out on Saturday to "buy me a gazebo" for the garden so we could sit out more comfortably. (I keep thinking of Monty Pythons Holy Grail here - "Build me a shrubbery!")
Anyway, this is what he came back with:


Not a great photo I know, but it's early in the morning and I didn't want to wake anyone up opening the back door. It's a great gazebo, lovely and cool inside and the nets keep out the flies. I have sat out here all weekend.

Maybe this is what has spurred me on to complete some knitty stuff. I proudly present, finished Jaywalkers!
Pattern: Jaywalker Socks by Grumperina
Yarn: Plymouth Sockotta
Needles: 2.5mm dpns.

Can you believe I've finished them? I cast these on last Dec 30th! Longest WIP ever for me. But, I had enough yarn to finish them. I was so sure I was going to run out. Look how close it was:


I tell you I'll never knit with this yarn again. Horrible horrible. It was so sticky! It stuck to itself in big knots, stuck to the needles, stuck to the cast on tail all the time. It was such a pain to use. I'm not mad about the pattern either, I had to make the first sock twice as it came out so big, and the finished ones are quite tight round my cankles. Still, they're done!

Work on the February Lady Sweater continues merrily. I'm almost finished the first sleeve. It's hard going now as the garment is quite big and really warm on my lap in this weather. It's going to be gorgeous though. I just know it.

Anyway, today I am casting on for my first pair of socks from Sock Innovation. So excited! I've joined the Sock Innovation group on Ravelry and the pattern for this month is Sunshine. Very appropriate too!

Pic is taken from the Interweave Website. Hope that's ok!
So, I've decided to use this yarn for it:

It's Pagewood Farm Chugiak in Rainbow Sherbet. Really sunny colours, don't you think?
So that's your lot. I'm off to sit out in the sun!

4 comments:

kelgell said...

Oh nice gazebo! It's officially winter here again so back to the cold. How lovely to sit out in the warm and work on projects! Nice socks too. And well done for completing a project. My sister knitted me socks for my birthday and they're great!!

Tara said...

Knitting in the gazebo (perhaps with a voddie?). Sounds like a blissful day indeed! Congrats on finishing your Jaywalkers. They look fabulous!

Alrischa said...

Hmm, might have to knit my sister more socks if she's going to go on about it. lol!

I hope you have lots more of that nice sun coming, so you can get lots of use out of the gazebo. I think the Sunshine socks will look great in your hot colors Ü

sheknitupthat said...

I absolutely love the rhubarb and custard socks! And I am very envious of your gazebo. Keep enjoying the weather!