Sunday 17 January 2010

Swallowtail!

Behold, a completed Swallowtail Shawl:

Pattern: Swallowtail Shawl
Yarn: Jacques Cartier Qiviuk
Needles: 3.5mm for the shawl, 4.5mm for the cast off

I am insanely proud of this. My first shawl, and it's a beaut! I got my hands on a 0.6mm crochet hook and crocheted the beads on instead of the nupps, and I think they look great.
I could have done a few more repeats of the main chart though, I've ended up with 159 yards of this yarn leftover. I have to find something to make with this, I can't let it go to waste!

This picture is unblocked. I ordered a set of blocking wires and pins from IKnit 10 days ago, and they still haven't arrived. I really hope they get here tomorrow, I want to block and wear this baby!

I also finished the first toe up Lace & Cable Sock:
Apologies for the crappy picture, the light is really bad today.
I don't really have anything to say about this sock. It's kind of a bit meh.
I did overestimate how much yarn would be needed for the ribbing and ended up with a bit left over. I could have done another 6 or 7 rounds of pattern. I suppose that comes with practice. Although I'm unsure if toe up is the method for me. I tried the Tubular Bind off for the cuff and failed miserably, so I went with my original idea, the tried and true EZ sewn bind off.
Not much else knitty to report, other than I want to knit more lace. Now. Damn the second sock. In fact, I think I'm going to leave it for a little while anyway, and cast on the Koolhaas hat. It got forgotten in the pleasure rush that was the lace shawl.
After that, I'm breaking out Victorian Lace Today. Oh yes.
I bought a bird feeder for the garden as the little birdies were looking a bit hungry, and yesterday morning I caught them having a party. A pool party. Two were bathing in a puddle in my flower bed while a couple of others were looking on, and some others were chowing down on the nuts:

I couldn't get any pool pics or a better one of the feeder as they scarpered when they saw me approaching the back door. But all they needed was a stereo playing some party tunes and they were having a real shindig!
(Note the party lights? Yeah. I'm sure they were adding to the birdie party atmosphere, but they're Christmas lights hubby still hasn't taken down as the ground is too soggy to unpin them and put them in the shed. You'd swear we had quicksand for a lawn and he was in mortal danger!)

6 comments:

Bionic Laura said...

Oh my... What a pretty pretty thing. That shawl looks gorgeous. Really I think there will have to be more photos of it when it's blocking so that we can have a really good look at it. Oh and close up of the beads... I'll have to get myself to knit night to see it and feel it in person.

Love the birdies too.

UnderMeOxter said...

That is a seriously beautiful shawl. Let me know when it is making an excursion in to the wilds of Dublin - I'd also love to see it in the flesh.
I like the socks but I can completely understand the need for more lace.
Ha! you'll never guess the word I've to fill in for the verification! "sable" how funny is that!

kelgell said...

Yes I want to see close ups of the beads too. And see it on! Wish I could see it in person too but I doubt you'll be coming to Australia any time soon.
Nice of you to arrange a party for the birds too. I can just imagine them hopping about cheerfully.

Anonymous said...

Is it me or did you knit up that shawl super quick? It's lovely! Can't wait to see it blocked.

Maybe you'll like the socks better once you're done with the pair? I think it's cute.

Chase & Snow Oy said...

A pool party! Full of nice looking birds :D
That shawl is gorgeous, and I bet it's really soft too?

Tara said...

Congrats on your first piec of lace knitting! And if you think you're hooked now, just wait until you block it! :)