Monday 27 July 2009

It pays to be a knitter aka restoring my faith in people

It pays to be a knitter. It really does.
This is a short post as I'm on the wi-fi in the hotel reception and it sucks.
The holiday is going ok, the weather is rotten, but Mam seems to be enjoying herself. Alice and hubby are in the pool as we speak so I've grabbed a quick pint and am throwing out this post as I thought it was a great story.

Remember my new car I bought about 3 weeks ago? Well, I have encountered 3 good samaritans on the trip so far.

1. On the motorway on the way down, a car passed me out, then slowed down and began waving furiously at me. I didn't know what was going on! They gestured to pull over so I did, while being very wary of their intentions. It turns out that there's a panel under the engine to protect it and cushion sound. It was hanging off! The very nice guy got on his hands and knees on the hard shoulder of the motorway and showed me the problem.
Needless to say I panicked and Mam didn't help - "What's wrong?" constantly.
I managed to get to a petrol station and was asking for help in the shop. No chance, they just stared at me and the assistant actually asked "So are you buying anything?"

2. I couldn't believe it when a young guy (and hot too) said he'd help.
This is where the knitter connection came in. He said he could temporarily tie up the panel and had I any string. I said no, I'd no string but I do have wool! I opened my Aladdins cave of a knitting bag - y'know how you always bring more than you'll ever knit? And he just laughed! Well, we selected some cotton, and he tied it on for me! It was quite nice watching him on his back under my car tying on my cotton yarn. Very nice indeed. Oh yes.

3. I went to a garage today to get it properly fixed, the mechanic fixed it and wouldn't take any money. Such a nice guy.

So, knitting has practical purposes other than producing fantastic garments, and people are really great to their fellow (wo)man.

If the rest of the week is as good as the start, I think I will return home truly refreshed.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

UnderMeOxter said...

Well you've earned yourself a Knitting Scouts Badge (from http://www.cast-on.com/?page_id=123)
"The “MacGyver” Badge (Level Two) - The recipient must demonstrate clever use of a knitting tool in a non-knitting-related scenario. For instance, recipient has used a strand of Regia Bamboo to slice cheese, or repaired a small appliance with a metal knitting needle."
Congratulations!

kelgell said...

Ha ha. Thanks for the amusing story. Good to know knitting is more useful than just knitting. Hope you do have a wonderful week.

Tara said...

Knitting is it's own reward, darling. But it's nice to see it can have other applications as well!